- There were some severe NHL Game 3 upsets, and even the method the upsets took place need to have been extra-upsetting for the favorites.
- It wasn’t constantly quite, however the Panthers live to eliminate another day.
- Breaking the underdog pattern, effective round-robin groups the Avalanche and Lightning won. (Then once again, the Presidents’ Trophy winners will not be the East’s front runner, so perhaps that underdog pattern still tracks …)
- Panthers 3, Islanders 2 (NYI leads series 2-1). For the very first time in more than 4 years, the Panthers won a championship game. They prevented being swept by the Islanders while doing so, riding some fast strikes in the 3rd duration. Florida secured Sergei Bobrovsky fairly well, and might feel a little more positive after Wednesday Of course, it would assist if Jonathan Huberdeau can play in Game 4 after being shocked by an accident with a Panthers colleague.
- Coyotes 4, Predators 1 (ARI leads series 2-1). Despite bring much of the play– specifically when the “JOFA” line of Ryan Johansen, Filip Forsberg, and Viktor Arvidsson were on– the Predators might just beat Darcy Kuemper as soon as. Kuemper got better from a rough Game 2 to hold down the fort forArizona Taylor Hall wound up scoring the insurance coverage objective and included an assist to offer the Coyotes a possibility to advance in Game 4.
- Lightning 3, Bruins 2– Round Robin Game. After losing their very first 2 video games of the Eastern Conference Round Robin, the Presidents’ Trophy- winning Bruins will not have the ability to protect the front runner in their conference. Tough break for the only NHL group to reach 100 standings points, however that’s the nature of the monster as COVID-19 interrupts both life and sports. The Lightning, on the other hand, won their very first 2 of three round-robin video games, so they have a strong possibility to take the front runner.
- Avalanche 4, Stars 0– Round Robin Game. Following a buzzer-beater win versus the protecting champ Blues, the Avalanche didn’t leave their 2nd round-robin game to possibility. Cale Makar began the scoring with a power-play objective 3: 19 into the game, and the Avalanche never ever truly recalled. So far, the Avalanche look as quick and frightening as hockey diehards were hoping.
- Canadiens 4, Penguins 3 (MTL leads series 2-1). This time around, this wasn’t about Carey Price standing on his head (or almost doing so). In a remarkable affair, the Penguins constructed a 3 -1 lead early in the 2nd duration. That lead, and the Penguins themselves, would definitely break down. The Canadiens rose back to win Game 3, and did so convincingly. Yeah, wow.
- Blackhawks 4, Oilers 3 (EDM leads series 2-1). The Oilers and Blackhawks raise that “Yeah, wow” to … I do not understand, a “Super wowzers?” Wednesday included some lower seeds stunning favorites, and while the Penguins bring far more influence than the Oilers, Edmonton still lost in a more incredible method. In another game of swings, Connor McDavid provided the Oilers a 3 -2 lead in the passing away seconds of the 2nd duration. The Oilers secured that lead for a good part of the 3rd, till all of it broke down with 2 late Blackhawks objectives. Just like that, Edmonton is on the edge of removal. Hockey can be quite wild, gang.
NHL Round Robin Standings
Eastern Conference Round Robin Standings
- Tampa Bay Lightning( 2-0-0, 4 points)
- Philadelphia Flyers( 1-0-0, 2 points)
- Washington Capitals( 0-0-1, 1 point)
- Boston Bruins( 0-2-0, 0 points)
Western Conference Round Robin Standings
- Colorado Avalanche( 2-0-0, 4 points)
- Vegas Golden Knights( 1-0-0, 2 points)
- St Louis Blues( 0-1-0, 0 points)
- Dallas Stars( 0-2-0, 0 points)
NHL’s Three Stars from Wednesday
1.Darcy Kuemper, Arizona Coyotes
As Wednesday went along, NHL Game 3 upsets ended up being a pattern,and the outcomes ended up being sign ificantly stunning. A greater seed Predators group being up to theCoyotes feels less disconcerting when you compare it to the other stunning NHL Game 3 up sets of the day.
Still, this was the stand out effort.
Kuemper assisted the Coyotes author a familiar variation of this one, an upset farmore normal than the Black hawk sand Canadiens more or less matching the Oilersand Penguins respectively. In the case of theCoyotes beating the Predators, much of the outcome related to a goalie standing on his head.
After a difficult Game 2, stopped 39 out of 40 shots to snare Game 3 from the Predators Kuemper’s finest work came early, as the Coyotes took a 1-0 lead into the very first intermission regardless of Nashville handling a19 -9 SOG benefit.
You can certainly dent Weber a bit when he may have slow down a bit throughout a postponed charge, which would have been gotten in touch with him if Patric Hornqvist didn’t bury a lovely assist by Evgeni Malkin But, in general, Weber was great in Montreal’s flabber gasting 4-3 win versus the Penguins Along with scoring one objective and 2 assists for three points, Weber was stout defensively. That consisted of 2 objectivesforand no versus at even-strength. Weber most likely played a popular function in the Habs ensuring the Penguins’ third-period resurgence effort was typically, shockingly weak.
If you seem likeJonathan Toews needs to get approval, that’s reasonable. Toews scored 2 objectives,and played a huge function in the Blackhawks’ win. (So did a gush of deflections, however still,Toews was terrific.)
Toews will feel great taking the winand being a success far from the official 2020 Stanley Cup Play offs Yet, Leon Draisaitl appeared like the 2020 Art Ross winner out there. Draisaitl factored into allthree Oilers objectives ( 2 objectives, oneassist) and brought the sort of underlying statistics he does not constantly create.
Hockey Twitter may wish to“free Connor McDavid,” however some compassion needs to be conserved for Draisaitl, too.
2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers– leading high lights from Monday
Honestly? It’s most likely a good idea to pay those Oilers–Blackhawks highlights, whole sale:
If you require a single emphasize, the definitive objective from Predators–Coyotes might work. Derek Stepan made a great pass, then Conor Garland finished the highlight-reel-game-winner by stupefying the Predators:
What an amazing, unanticipated breakout season from Garland …
- By getting an assist in Game 3, Sidney Crosby broke a tie with Doug Gilmour and Joe Sakic for 8th all-time in scoring with his 190 th play off point Telling him that after Game 3 would most likely primarily make you a frown, however.
- Jeff Petry currently has 2 postseason game-winning objectives for the Canadiens Via NHL PR, he’s the 6th Canadiens defenseman to create a minimum of 2 in a single playoff run.
- Avalanche goalie Pavel Francouz brought his sneaky-strong routine season into the RoundRobin By pitching a 27- conserve nothing, Francouz is the very first Avalanche goalie in franchise history to make a nothing in their playoff launching. Take that, Peter Budaj.
Thursday NHL schedule:
- Game 3: Canucks vs. Wild, 2: 30 p.m. ET, NBCSN (Series connected 1-1)
- Round- robin: Capitals vs. Flyers, 4 p.m. ET, NBCSN
- Round- robin: Golden Knights vs. Blues, 6: 45 p.m. ET, NBCSN
- Game 3: Maple Leafs vs. Blue Jackets, 8 p.m. ET, NBCSN (Series connected 1-1)
- Game 4: Flames vs. Jets, 10: 30 p.m. ET, CNBC ( CGY leads 2-1)
James O’Brien is an author for Pro Hockey Talk on NBC Sports Drop him a line [email protected] or follow him on Twitter @cyclelikesedins.
NHL Bubble Wrap: Stunning Game 3 upsets for Penguins, Oilers, and more initially appeared on NBCSports com